Friday, October 12, 2012

Music and Everything in Between

Genisis Balico Music and Everything in Between Music for me is more then just music. It’s an extension of myself and has truly help shape how I view the world. Since I can remember music has stood out to me more then anything else. What I’ve recently come to love the most about music is its ability to transcend language. Good music whether in a language you understand or not is good music. This past summer I began to grow weary of listening to the same sound over and over again. Not that I don’t love the music I hear on the radio or the older stuff from Bob Dylan to Clubhouse, but I felt as if my music broad span was becoming more of a cycle. So the most logical thing to me was to start exploring different types of music. I was already open -minded about all types of music in my language, so why not listen to something perhaps out of my comfort zone? This perhaps one of the most rewarding decisions I’ve made. I started with going back to my roots and listening to more Latino music and was surprised to find how much I liked certain songs. This not only taught me more about my culture but it brought me closer to members in my family who had more knowledge and a love for Latino music. From here I branched off to listen to different types of music that my friends suggested in other languages such as music in Japanese and found a singer whose work I greatly admire, Utada. Of all the music I listened to I came to love Korean music the most. Although there is no particular artist that I like the most this cultures music has captivated me the most. It is through my venturing of different music that has led me to also look into different cultures mostly using media such as Facebook or an app called Viki that is an Asian entertainment outlet. It’s amazing. I’ve found that countries with media similar to ours have many similarities to us. At the end of the day we all have the same basic human feeling and in retrospect our thoughts are similar. Before my adventure through music I didn’t realize how much I viewed the world through our borders. This is just one of many things that music has given me. As of late it has been the inspiration to add more places on my list of places to see, and has taught me more about people in general. It is a passion that will never die because it is a source of inspiration and comfort, for that I’m grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment